Saturday, January 28, 2006

The best of 2005

Groucho Marx said
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
So take your mind for a jog, throw away all your worries, unwind and pick up a nice book. Here is my top 3 of 2005 if it helps:

By far the best book that I read last year was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Since I talked about it in one of my earlier posts, only thing I would say is to read it as soon as you find some time. Lots of it, actually. It's a long one.

Rule of four by Ian Caldwell et. al. is a story about four friends, and no that is not why there is a four in the title :-), at Princeton who stumble upon a book that carries a historical mystery. The comparison to Da Vinci Code is inevitable. Although this book is bit more of an intellectural thriller. It reminded me of my college days and probably be more fun to read if you could relate it yours. You may find it difficult to put this one down.

Blink : The power of thinking without thinking by Malcom Gladwell is a non-fiction unlike the above two. The author, by way of case studies and research, explains how our snap judgements or unconcious decisions based on first few seconds of looking at "things" may be more correct than the ones we take after a long mulling over. Regardless of whether you believe it or not, the book proposes an interesting theory that is definitely worth your time. Being a small book doesn't hurt its cause either :-)

Happy reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home